Generic Floxin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It kills sensitive bacteria by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive. Ofloxacin tablets have been used effectively to treat lower respiratory tract infections, including chronic bronchitis and pneumonia, sexually transmitted diseases (except syphilis), pelvic inflammatory disease, and infections of the urinary tract, prostate gland, and skin.
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take ofloxacin with a full glass of water (8 ounces). Drink several extra glasses of fluid each day to prevent crystals from forming in the urine.
You may take ofloxacin with or without food.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using ofloxacin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- seizure (convulsions);
- confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeat;
- sudden pain or swelling near your joints (especially in your arm or ankle);
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling in your hands or feet;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, weakness;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation;
- feeling restless or anxious;
- headache, dizziness;
- muscle pain;
- sleep problems (insomnia), or nightmares;
- vaginal itching or discharge; or
- Mild skin itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.
Do not use Generic Floxin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ofloxacin.
- you are allergic to any other fluoroquinolone antibiotic (e.g., ciprofloxacin).
- you have abnormal blood electrolyte levels (e.g., low potassium or magnesium) or a history of a certain type of irregular heartbeat (e.g., QTc interval prolongation).
- you are taking medicines for heart rhythm disturbances (e.g., quinidine, procainamide, amiodarone, sotalol) .
- you are taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) (e.g., ibuprofen) or typhoid oral vaccine.
- Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before taking Generic Floxin, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following drugs:
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin);
- cimetidine (Tagamet);
- cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune, Gengraf);
- insulin or diabetes medication you take by mouth;
- theophylline (Theo-Dur, Theolair, Slo-Phyllin, Slo-Bid, Elixophyllin);
- aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), diclofenac (Voltaren), indomethacin, naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), piroxicam (Feldene), nabumetone (Relafen), etodolac (Lodine), and others; or
- Heart rhythm medicine such as amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), dofetilide (Tikosyn), disopyramide (Norpace), ibutilide (Corvert), procainamide (Procan, Pronestyl), quinidine (Quinidex, Quin-Release Quin-G), or sotalol (Betapace).
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with ofloxacin. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep away from children and pets.